By state law, the management of the public employees’ retirement funds is vested in PERA’s Board of Trustees. The 16-member Board of Trustees includes three Trustees appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate; four members from the School Division; three members from the State Division; one member from the Local Government Division; one Judicial Division member; two PERA retirees; a non-voting representative from the DPS Division; and the State Treasurer as an ex officio, voting member. If a Board member resigns, a new member is appointed from the respective division until the next election.
Contact us! If you have a question for the Board, submit by clicking below.
To offer public comment during a PERA Board meeting, a phone line is available to accept calls 30 minutes prior to public comment and it will close immediately after public comment has ended. Please follow the instructions below to offer public comment during a PERA Board meeting:
- Register prior to the meeting by emailing Brenda Meidl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call 855-721-0566 to be placed in the queue in the order in which you call in.
- To be considered for public comment, you must call in 15 minutes prior to start of the meeting.
- You have the option to leave a voicemail if you miss the time window noted above.
- Provide your name and the topic on which you want to comment to PERA staff once you are in the queue.
- Please wait for the Chairman’s cue to speak; you will be limited to a maximum of three minutes.
- Your call will be disconnected when the public comment agenda item is completed.
PERA reserves the right to terminate your call if your comments are disruptive to the meeting.
In May 2023, Colorado PERA will hold an election for the following seats on the Board of Trustees:
- School Division—2-year term (to be filled by an active member [currently employed] at a public school, not including Denver Public Schools)
- Local Government Division—4-year term (to be filled by an active member [currently employed] at a Local Government Division employer)
- Judicial Division—4-year term (to be filled by an active member [currently employed] at a Judicial Division employer)
- Retiree Seat—4-year term (to be filled by a retired member from the State, Local Government, or Judicial Divisions)
If you’re interested in running for a seat on PERA’s Board, please complete the candidacy packet request form by submitting an electronic request or send an email to email@example.com. Candidacy packet requests can be made through February 28, 2023. Please note that we recommend requesting a packet as early as possible because all completed materials, including candidacy support petition signatures, are due by 11:59 p.m. (Mountain time) on March 1, 2023.Serving as a PERA Trustee fact sheet
Reviews PERA’s internal controls related to financial and accounting reporting systems, provides oversight for the ethical conduct of the Board and PERA staff, and assists the Board in fulfilling its fiduciary responsibilities. This committee is made up of no fewer than five Board members as well as two outside members who are independent of any relationship with PERA.
Oversees PERA’s benefit programs and has no fewer than six Board members.
Compensation and Budget Committee
Submits a budget that implements the organization’s policies and priorities, recommends changes to the Total Compensation Philosophy statement, recommends compensation levels for the Executive Director, and sets the education budget provided for Trustees’ education. This committee has no fewer than five members.
Assists the Board with certain performance evaluation responsibilities and includes the Board Chair, Vice Chair, and the chairs of all standing Board committees.
Includes the Board Chair and Vice Chair (plus the Executive Director) and oversees effective management of Board and committee meetings.
Provides oversight of PERA investments and directs PERA management on implementation of investment policy and procedures related to the fund’s rights and responsibilities as an investor in many public corporations. This committee has no fewer than six Board members.Committee Assignments
2022 Board MeetingsJanuary 21, 2022March 18, 2022June 17, 2022September 23, 2022
2021 Board MeetingsJanuary 15, 2021March 19, 2021June 18, 2021September 17, 2021November 19, 2021
2020 Board MeetingsJanuary 17, 2020March 20, 2020April 28, 2020June 19, 2020September 10, 2020September 11, 2020November 20, 2020