Skip to main content

Take Action: Claim Your Account

Because you no longer work for a PERA-covered employer, we need to hear from you at least once every five years to ensure that your account is not turned over to the State of Colorado’s Unclaimed Property Fund. If that happens, you won’t receive a lifetime monthly benefit in retirement and you may have to claim that distribution on your taxes.

The good news is it takes less than two minutes to make sure your account stays at PERA.

Keep your account information current by logging into your secure member account at Then click “Unclaimed Property” under the green “My Profile” dropdown menu on the right-hand side of the screen. There you’ll find the “Claim Your DB Plan Account” landing page.  

May contain: file, page, text, and webpage

If you have reached the IRS required minimum distribution (RMD) age (72 or older if you were born on or after June 30, 1949, or age 70½ if you were born before that date) and are not working at a PERA-covered employer, you must act on your account by either requesting a refund or rollover of your balance or applying for a retirement benefit. Claiming your account will not prevent it from being turned over to the State if you are reaching your required minimum distribution age. Please contact PERA’s Customer Service Center for more information on your options.

Remember, PERA will need your current address in order to contact you when it’s time to take a benefit—so please let us know when you move.


You may also view and print the Refund/Rollover of Your PERA DB Plan Account booklet, which includes the Rollover Request and Refund Request forms.